December 15, 2014

Bear Tales - Harriet's Story

At the time of our last post, Lynda was awaiting the arrival of a third bear made by a member of the Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society using an inscribed quilt block to cover its front.  This bear arrived shortly thereafter to join her sister-bears who had preceded her to California.  (Refer to our last post dated December 1, 2014.)

The third bear.  All photographs of the bears by Lynda Salter Chenoweth.
Unlike her sister bears, this one, displaying the name Harriet H. Bispham and the name of the town Haddonfield, has fabric that has not suffered the deterioration seen in the Turkey-red-like fabrics on the other two bears.  In common with the other bears, however, her inscribed block is annotated in ink with "c. 1844".  Having been unable to speak with the woman who made the bears, Lynda speculates that she annotated the blocks based on a range of dates that may have appeared on other blocks in the same quilt. (Inscribed quilts frequently have a range of dates on them reflecting when the blocks were inscribed.  For example, the Sarah Wistar quilt, described in our post of October 30, 2012, contains blocks with dates ranging from 1842 to 1844.)  Alternatively, the bear-maker could have known the origin and approximate date of the quilt.
Lynda had begun to research the names on the first two bears even before the third arrived.  When the third did arrive, we had two bears with inscribed blocks naming women who lived in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
Haddonfield, itself, is worthy of a blog post.  The community was founded by Elizabeth Haddon (1680-1762), a young Quaker woman who came to America to take possession of 500 acres of land her father, John, had purchased in the English colony of New Jersey in 1698.  Her father being in poor health, Elizabeth sailed to the New World in his stead.  She arrived in 1701 and named their property Haddonfield.
Elizabeth married a Quaker minister named John Estaugh in 1702 and in 1713 they built a three-story brick home they called New Haddonfield Plantation.
New Haddonfield Plantation.  Source of image: The Friend, 1889.
Elizabeth and her husband had no children but both kept busy with Elizabeth running the plantation and devoting time to the sick, while John practiced his ministry wherever it took him and later managed his father-in-law's affairs in America.
In 1721, Elizabeth's father gave her the deed to an acre of land for use in establishing a Quaker meetinghouse and burial ground.  This act solidified Haddonfield as a community.  The meetinghouse was completed about 1723 and was the site of the Haddonfield Monthly Meeting until 1760 when a larger, brick meetinghouse replaced it.  Elizabeth was a member of this meeting and served as the clerk of the Women's Meeting for nearly fifty years.
Friends Meeting House, Haddonfield.  Source of image:  The Friend, 1889.
Harriet H. Bispham (1829-1910) and Abigail R. Clement (1826-1882), the Haddonfield residents named on the bears, appear to have had ancestors who attended the Haddonfield Monthly Meeting.  Both of their family names are prominent in Haddonfield Monthly Meeting records of the early and mid-nineteenth century.  However, neither of these women were Quakers at the time that they married.
Harriet H. Bispham was born in Haddonfield on May 15, 1829, the daughter of Benjamin and Ann (also called Nancy) Ivens Bispham.  No record could be found indicating that Harriet or any of her immediate family were members of the Religious Society of Friends but Harriet definitely had connections with the Quaker community.  In August of 1850, at the age of twenty-one, she married Thomas Hodgson Albertson (1825-1864), a member of the Haddonfield Monthly Meeting.
Thomas was the son of Josiah and Abigail Cooper Hodgson Albertson.  Before his marriage to Harriet, Thomas had been in trouble with the Haddonfield Monthly Meeting for attending meetings of the "separatists" (the Hicksite faction of the Religious Society of Friends).  He was subsequently removed from membership in the Religious Society of Friends by the Orthodox meeting on April 8, 1850.  This trouble was followed by that caused by his marriage to Harriet, a non-Quaker.  In 1852, he was disowned by the Hicksite meeting for having been married "by a Priest or hireling minister" outside of the Quaker faith - an offence defined then as a "diviation".
Harriet and Thomas went on to have four children between 1852 and 1861:  Josiah Bispham; Alfred C.; Adelaide Watson; and, Winfield Scott.  (Needless to say, none of these children were raised as Quakers.)  Thomas is shown in census data as having supported Harriet and their children as a bricklayer (1850 census) and a storekeeper (1860 census).  In 1863, at the age of thirty-eight, Thomas registered for the Civil War draft.  He passed away on April 25, 1864 in Philadelphia, leaving Harriet alone with four children to raise.  We do not know if the cause of his death was related to service in the war.
After Thomas died, 1880 census data show Harriet living with her mother, Ann Bispham, her sister Rebecca, a house keeper, and her sons Josiah and Winfield in Haddonfield.  (Her son, Albert C., passed away in August of 1864 at the age of nine, five months after his father's death.  Her daughter, Adelaide, had married in 1877 and was living elsewhere.)  An 1884 Haddonfield City Directory lists Harriet's address and lists her son Josiah as a carpenter, and her son Winfield as a printer.
At the time of the 1910 census, Harriet was eighty years old, still in Haddonfield, and living with her daughter Adelaide and her husband, John P. Downs.  Harriet died on April 25th that same year, forty-six years to the day after her husband's death.
Harriet's daughter Adelaide Watson Downs with her daughter,
 Eva C. Downs. Photograph from Public Member Tree, Barton Family Tree,
Harriet undoubtedly knew Abigail R. Clement, the second Haddonfield resident whose name is inscribed on one of the bears.  Haddonfield was a small town and both Harriet and Abigail appear on blocks from the same quilt - which usually means that they both knew the quilt recipient and were among the family and friends of the community represented on the quilt.  Our next post will explore  Abigail's life and that of Jane Biddle of Philadelphia.
Sources: census and Public Family Tree records, accessed December 2014.
History of American Women, "Elizabeth Haddon" at
"U.S. Quaker Meeting Records, 1681-1935" accessed on, December 2014.
Willets, Harriet O. Redman.  "Incidents in the Life of Elizabeth Haddon" written for the 200th anniversary of the settlement of Haddonfield New Jersey, 1913.  This article can be seen at

December 1, 2014

A Tale of Two Bears. No-Make That Three!

Lynda was sitting in front of her computer a couple of weeks ago watching the status of bidding on a silk quilt top featured on eBay.  The interesting things about this top were its possible Quaker origin and its exposed paper-piecing that included parts of old letters, newspapers, flyers, ledgers, and other material.  It looked like a great research piece.

While waiting for the bidding to end, Lynda started "surfing" eBay for inscribed quilts.  There was nothing of interest there, but up popped a photo of two ratty little bears that had been made using blocks of an extremely worn, mid-nineteenth century, inscribed quilt.  Lynda had no choice but to buy them!

The Bears.  All photographs of the bears by Lynda Salter Chenoweth.

The bears measure 9 inches tall by 4 1/2 inches across.  The fronts of the bears are covered with quilt blocks displaying deteriorating Turkey-red-type fabrics, sturdy shirting, and an inscribed square en pointe.  The batting used in the quilt can be seen where the red fabrics have worn away.

Exposed quilt batting.
The backing of one of the bears is a new, heavy cotton or muslin fabric.  Quilting stitches and the discoloration of the fabric on the back of the other bear indicates it came from the old quilt block used on the front.  (The stitches average 7 per inch.)  Foot pads of an indigo, resist dye fabric appear to have been added to the quilt block fabric when the bears were made.
Quilting stitches on the backing of one of the bears.
One bear is inscribed with the name Jane Biddle followed by the word Philadelphia.  The other is inscribed with the name Abigail R. Clement followed by the word Haddonfield, a borough located in New Jersey not far from Philadelphia.  These nineteenth-century inscriptions have been annotated with "c. 1844".  Much more will be said in our next post about the information these bears have revealed and the quilt from which they were made.  Today's post, however, is concerned with who made them, why they were made, and where they were made.
An ink inscription found along the seam line on the back of both bears gives the critical clue as to their origins and provenance.  It reads: "CNPHS 6/99 BN".  A quick Internet search revealed that CNPHS stands for Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society located in Port Washington on Long Island, New York.  Another search turned up the Society's web site with address, phone number, and information about the Society.
The Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society was founded in 1963 and is located in the historic Sands-Willets House which the Society purchased from Miss Eliza Willets in 1967.  Only two families inhabited this house over a period of 232 years: the Sands family who lived there from 1735 until 1845, and the Willets family who lived there from 1845 until the property was sold in 1967.
Sands-Willets House, 336 Port Washington Blvd., Port Washington, New York.
Photograph courtesy of the Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society.
The Society's web site describes the Sands family as "merchants, farmers, and Patriot leaders."  This family was among the early settlers of Sands Point and seven of the members actively participated in the American Revolution against England, including Colonel John Sands II who served with George Washington's army.
Map showing Sands Point and Port Washington, New York.  Source: Wikimedia
Edmund (or Edmond) Willets bought the Sands property and house in 1845.  Edmund was born on April 6, 1800 and his family were prominent members of the Westbury Monthly Meeting. He married Martha Whitson, the daughter of another prominent New York Quaker family, in 1829 and they had eight children between 1830 and 1852.  Like many Quakers of his time, Edmund was imbued with strong anti-slavery sentiments and he went on to become a noted abolitionist and active in the Quaker affairs of New York.
Edmund was also a wealthy farmer and merchant.  The 1870 census lists the value of Edmund's land at $35,000 and his personal property at $150,000.  His wife and three of his daughters were shown with personal property of $5,000 each, his son, Thomas, with $5,000 worth of land and another $5,000 of personal property, and his son, Edmond R., who was in college at the time, with personal property of $4,000.  (The total of these amounts equates to $4,158,176.90 in 2013 dollars.)
Edmund annually spent some of his wealth upgrading and maintaining his house, out-buildings and land.  That burden now falls to the Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society, a non-profit, educational organization, which has been refurbishing and renovating the house since its purchase almost fifty years ago.  This has been a slow process for an organization that derives its funds from membership dues, small educational programs for children and the public, exhibitions of the Society's collections, fund-raising events, and up-to-three Fairs a year where books, crafts, and other items are sold.
The mention of the Society's Fairs brings us back to the bears. Joan DeMeo Lager, the Society's Curatorial Administrator, answered the phone when Lynda called to inquire about the bears.  She confirmed that toys were made for some of the Fairs by the "Craft Ladies", a group of generous volunteers who make quilts, aprons, stuffed animals, and other items to be sold in support of the Society.  She did not recall the bears but was willing to distribute a picture of them to the Craft Ladies who would be at the Society the next day.  The following day she sent an email saying that one of these ladies, Peggy Podstupka, had some information about the bears and would call in a couple of days.
Peggy remembered seeing, if not the two bears, a bear like them in the storage area of the Sands-Willets barn. She graciously looked through the storage boxes in the barn and found the bear!  When she called Lynda she offered to send her the third bear to go with its "sister-bears" in California.  She was unable to make out the full name inscribed on this bear but could see that the first name was Harriet.  The word Haddonfield was also inscribed on this bear.  In addition, Peggy knows the identify of the woman whose initials, BN, appear on the backs of the bears with the date 6/99.  She has volunteered to try to contact her so that Lynda may speak to her directly.
Baxter Pond, Port Washington, New York.  Source: Wikimedia Commons.
With help from Joan and Peggy, Lynda was able to discover who made the bears, why they were made, and where they were made.  The discovery of the third bear reveals another block and inscription from the old quilt used in making the bears.  Although it is doubtful that a sufficient number of bears will be discovered to enable us to reconstruct the quilt, we wish we could - bear by bear!  Lynda will try to find out more about the quilt from BN, the bear maker, and will add that information to our next post.
Meanwhile, Jane and Abigail eagerly await a reunion with their sister-bear, Harriet, who is making her way to California through the U.S. Postal system.
Sources: census and Public Member Trees, accessed November, 2014. (Web site of the Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society.)
Personal conversations with Joan Lager and Peggy Podstupka, November, 2014.
(c) Lynda Salter Chenoweth and Mary Holton Robare, 2014.


November 15, 2014

A Quaker Cotton Boll Quilt from North Carolina

Our last post featured a circa 1880 Pineapple Quilt.  This time we are sharing another quilt that is  dominated by yellow/orange fabric.  This one displays an elegance of technique and refinement highlighted by simplicity.  It is estimated to have been made sometime during the period 1870-1885.

Cotton Boll Quilt.  Photograph courtesy of Lisa Hammell.
The Cotton Boll Quilt measures 82 by 72 inches and is comprised of nine blocks that are approximately 25 inches wide and 28 1/2 inches long.  The blocks are hand-pieced together and the quilting stitches on the white portion of the quilt are 16 per inch.  The number of stitches on the teal appliqued elements total 12 per inch.  This is perhaps because the quilting of these elements was through three, rather than two, pieces of fabric.  The quilt's binding is hand-basted and machine-sewn.  The hand-basting threads have not been removed.

Detail of block and double-row, cross-hatch quilting.  Cotton Boll Quilt.
Photograph courtesy of Lisa Hammell.
Detail of quilting stitches on teal elements.  Photograph courtesy of Lisa Hammell.
Detail of quilting from the back.  The pattern of the cotton boll is outline-quilted.
Photograph courtesy of Lisa Hammell.
The cotton boll pattern, also referred to as Chrysanthemum, is an example of adopting an image of local flora to produce a quilt pattern.  North Carolina Quilts, the publication resulting from the North Carolina Quilt Project, cites four cotton boll quilts, one of which was made by Temperance Neely Smoot in about 1860.  Its fabrics have faded from what was probably a red and green motif to a color motif that now appears orange/red and muted green.  Another cotton boll quilt in the same publication is attributed to Frances Johnson (1782-1872). This one is red and green with a Flying Geese sashing and border.  It is also dated 1860.  (Roberson, 93 and 94.)
An article about a modern cotton boll quilt posted to the Internet by the Upstate [South Carolina] Heritage Quilt Trail states that the cotton boll pattern "is a traditional Carolina block made in the late 19th century."  The tradition has been to place the applique pattern on a white background surrounded by Flying Geese sashing and a Flying Geese border.
Family tradition has it that our featured cotton boll quilt passed down through a Quaker family.  The owner's former father-in-law is descended from a prominent Philadelphia Quaker family, the Biddles.  Robert and William C. Biddle, along with a group of ten other, mostly-Quaker Philadelphia residents settled Riverton, New Jersey, in 1851 to build summer homes away from the industrialization that was over-running the Schulylkill River.
Wernwag Bridge over the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia.  View of the South
Gardens at Fairmount Water Works, ca. 1830.  Photograph courtesy of Adam Levine,
Historical Consultant, Philadelphia Water Department.  Image source:
The Cotton Boll Quilt is believed to have been made by Sarah White (born 1860), one of three daughters born to David White, Jr. (1823-1895) and Isabella Wilson (1830-1899).  David and Isabella White lived in Perquimans County, North Carolina, with their family.  One of David's and Isabella's three sons, David White III (1870-1923), received his unmarried sister's quilt after she passed away.
David White III later married Henryanna Clay Hackney (1876-1913) and they had a daughter named Priscilla Henryanna White (1913-1971).  While attending Guilford College in North Carolina, Priscilla met and married Charles Miller Biddle (1911-2006) who was also attending this Quaker school.  The Cotton Boll Quilt passed down from David White III to his daughter, Priscilla Henryanna Biddle, and from there made its way to the current owner.
Perquimans River, North Carolina.  Photograph courtesy of Wikipedia.
Sarah White and her parents are recorded in census records as living in Perquimans County from at least the 1850s through the 1880s.  Sarah's father, David White, Jr., is listed in 1850, before Sarah was born, as a farmer/tanner.  He is listed as a farmer in 1860, 1870, and in 1880 when he was fifty-nine years old and Sarah was nineteen.
The 1870 census indicates that the family had an extensive farm with a property value of $7,000 and with personal property worth $1,500.  (These combined amounts are equivalent to $154,342.81 in 2013 dollars.)  The family also had five servants and field workers, three of whom were free blacks by the last name of Riddick.  Cotton was a prevalent crop in North Carolina at the time and it is quite possible that the Whites devoted some or all of their fields to cotton.  If this is the case, its presence may have inspired Sarah to choose a cotton boll pattern for her quilt.

This lovely quilt will be featured as one of those for sale December 2-4, 2014 at  For more information, contact Lisa Hammell at
Our thanks to Lisa for letting us share this colorful and attractive quilt.
Sources: census and Public Family Tree records, accessed October 10-15, 2014
Hammell, Lisa.  "Genealogical Notes," October 20, 2014.
Roberson, Ruth Haislip, ed.  North Carolina Quilts.  North Carolina Quilt Project, 1988.
(c) Lynda Salter Chenoweth and Mary Holton Robare, 2014.



November 1, 2014

An Almost-Quaker Pineapple Quilt & Southern Union Spies

Today's post concerns this sweet, applique quilt with an estimated date of ca. 1880.  The pattern is identified in Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Applique as (not surprisingly) "Pineapple".

Pineapple Quilt, ca. 1880.  Private collection.  Photograph by Mary Holton Robare.
Although we can't document the quilt to a Quaker maker, we are presenting it here because its owner calls it a "Quaker quilt", and because it opens the way to some fascinating Quaker history.  In the course of studying Quaker quilts, we frequently run into quilts that are cherished for their connection to Quaker forebears, even if the actual maker is unknown.
The quilt was brought to our attention because the husband of the person who handed it down in the family was descended from the Hollingworths, Quaker settlers in Winchester, Virginia. The quilt owner's husband was also a descendant of the Wrights of Frederick County, Virginia.  The owner so closely identified with this family that when she had the opportunity to visit the Wright family homestead toward the end of her life, it felt like a pilgrimage to her roots.  Before we tell you more about the Wrights, let's look at the quilt.
Measuring 67 1/4 by 84 inches, its twenty 15 by 15 inch blocks are separated by one inch sashing.  It is quilted in diagonal rows, cross-hatching, and with stitches that outline the applique.  The backing is seamed and it has an applied binding.
Details, Pineapple Quilt.  Photographs by Mary Holton Robare.
With an estimated date of ca. 1880, it is the search for a probable maker or first-owner that leads to the story of Southern Union Spies.  Family tradition is that the quilt belonged to Esther (Riggin) Raymond.  Born in 1918, she was too young to be the original maker or owner. Esther's mother, Edith (born 1878), was also too young to have made a quilt ca. 1880.  There is no way of knowing who made the quilt, but the investigation into Edith's ancestry gets interesting.
Edith's mother, America "Mae" Hughey (1856-1933), was from Ohio.  If she made the quilt, there is no indication she was a Quaker.  However, she was married in 1874 to a birthright Quaker, Jonathan T. Wright of Frederick County, Virginia.  Thus, IF (being highly speculative) she made the quilt, we might call it "almost Quaker".
Of more importance here, however, is history associated with Jonathan T. Wright's sister, Rebecca -a famous female Quaker and Civil War spy.
Rebecca M. Wright (1838-1914).  Image courtesy of the Southern Unionists Chronicles website. 
Jonathan and Rebecca were two of several children born to Rachel (Lupton) and Amos Wright.  Amos was known as a Union sympathizer, as was his daughter Rebecca.  She worked as a young teacher before deciding (in about 1854) to study further at a "Friends School in Loudoun County, under the direction of Samuel M. Janney."   This school, unnamed in accounts, was most likely Springdale, the boarding school founded by Janney in 1839 and operated in Loudoun County until his retirement in 1855.  Its mission was to provide a "guarded education" for young women.
Springdale, Loudoun County, Virginia.  Photograph by Mary Holton Robare.
It has been long-rumored that the school's building was used as a stop on the Underground Railroad but this has not been satisfactorily verified to scholars.  What is known, however, is that Janney's "anti-slavery efforts included founding Sunday schools and day schools for African American children, lobbying the District of Columbia to abolish slavery, and supporting emancipation and colonization societies."  His influence was profound.
Despite a public stance of neutrality, Quakers (not all but many) tended to be Union sympathizers due to their general disapproval of slavery.  In the town of Winchester, Virginia, sentiments were so sharply divided between all residents that the town changed hands over seventy times in the course of the Civil War.
It was in the fall of 1864 that Rebecca Wright was recommended to General Sheridan as a "person of Union loyalty, who might be able to give information on the Confederate forces."  In seeking a trusted go-between for communications with Rebecca Wright, Sheridan found Thomas Laws, "a black slave from Clarke County."
Thomas Laws.  Photograph excerpted from Winchester Star newspaper article.  The image
depicts a sketch of Thomas Laws from the James E. Taylor Sketchbook. The caption states
that, "[...] the Laws sketch was probably from a picture that Laws sent to [Taylor] in 1894."  Star
photo courtesy of the Western Reserve Historical Society.
Laws was the courier for notes exchanged between Rebecca Wright and General Sheridan.  The notes were written on tissue paper and wrapped in tinfoil which Laws was instructed to hold in his mouth en route. He was further instructed to swallow the packets in the event of capture.
Newspaper writer Val Van Meter states that the information exchanged was "[...] responsible for the timing of the Third Battle of Winchester and the Union Army's subsequent conquest of the Shenandoah Valley."
Indications are that Thomas Laws lived in Clarke County, Virginia, for the rest of his life.  When Rebecca's role in the events leading up to the Confederates' defeat was discovered, she was hated in her hometown.  She recalled boys spitting on her in the streets, and being called names such as "Traitor of the South".  Deciding to leave Winchester after the Civil War, she secured a job in the United States Treasury Department with the help of General Sheridan.
You can learn more of this story from our list of sources and you can see a ca. 1889 image of Rebecca on these websites: and
Sources and Notes:
Special thanks are extended to Ruth Raymond, Karen Colley, and Barbara Garrett.
You can see another Pineapple Quilt dated 1850-1875 on The Quilt Index, Record # 1E-3D-2F2.
Scheel, Eugene.  "Underground Railroad-Journey to Freedom Was Risky for Slaves and Guides" in The History of Loudoun County, Virginia at
"Summary of Memoirs of Samuel M. Janney" in Documenting the American South at
Van Meter, Val.  "Teacher, Slave Unite to Help Union After Course of Civil War" in The Winchester Star, 13 September, 2014.
Williams, Kimberly.  Quaker Sites in Loudoun County, Virginia. Loudoun County, Virginia: The Mosby Heritage Area Association, not dated, at .




October 16, 2014

American Quilt Study Group Seminar 2014, Part 3

We promised earlier to share with you a quilt that was on display in Christine Bowman's vendor booth at Seminar in Milwaukee.  Well, here it is.

Eight-Pointed Star Quilt.  Photograph courtesy of Christine Bowman.

The quilt is comprised of 42 twelve-inch square blocks placed seven across and six down.  These blocks are surrounded by a white border measuring approximately three inches on each side and five and a half inches at top and bottom giving a measurement of approximately 88 by 80 inches.  Three additional blocks, not incorporated into the quilt, came with it.  Documentation obtained with the quilt states that it was Quaker-made in the 1840s and that it was assembled and quilted in 1955 in Milwaukee.  The red binding would have been added at that time.

Photograph courtesy of Christine Bowman.
The quilt blocks were paper-pieced using eight diamonds and a center octagonal piece.  Most of the octagonal elements are inscribed, either free-hand in ink or stamped, with the names of members of families living mainly in Delaware and Maryland as well as Philadelphia, Virginia, and St. Louis, Missouri.  The dates inscribed on the quilt are 1843 and 1844.
Extra block showing paper-piecing technique.  Photograph courtesy of Christine Bowman.
The fabrics comprising the stars are cotton prints.  Two of the stars, which were dark brown printed with roses, have deteriorated and are partially worn away, revealing the cotton batting beneath.
This and the next three photographs by Lynda Salter Chenoweth.
Extra block with attached names to be inscribed on it and perhaps another of the extra blocks. 
The names are R.T. Davenport and Sarah Davenport.  None of the blocks in the quilt are
inscribed with two names even though it was common Quaker practice to inscribe the
names of both husband and wife on a single block.
This and the next three block photographs courtesy of Christine Bowman.
Preliminary research into the names inscribed on the quilt revealed the presence of three particularly prominent Delaware families.  All settled in or around Wilmington, Delaware, where the Brandywine and Christina Rivers converge.
Map of the Brandywine and Christina River watershed.  Courtesy of Wikipedia.
The first of these is a family of Quakers by the name of Richardson who settled near what-is-now Wilmington in the late 17th or early 18th century on the Christina River.  John Richardson (1679-1755) migrated to the New World from England and amassed a considerable fortune from his operation of a gristmill and from foreign trade.  He had two brigantines plus a sloop that sailed with cargo from his own wharves and storehouses selling grain, flour, lumber, and barrel staves, returning with sugar, molasses, rum, and salt which he sold locally.
When John died in 1755, he left his mill property to his son Richard Richardson (1720-1797) who, in 1765, built a large stone house overlooking Newport Pike.  One year later, Richard married Sarah Tatnall, the daughter of a wealthy Brandywine miller, and moved her into this house.  The house is still standing and is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
Richard Richardson House in 2010.  Photograph courtesy of Wikipedia.
One of Richard's sons, Ashton Richardson (1776-1852), inherited the mill property and continued to pursue several milling operations in the area.  Ashton, a prominent and wealthy Quaker, was considered one of the area's most eligible bachelors.  In 1804, he built Ashley Mansion on his inherited property and three years later married Mary Wood.  They had eight children and lived in Ashley Mansion until their deaths in the early 1850s.
Ashley Mansion.  Photograph by Bill Pfingsten, Bel Air, Maryland.
The names of two of Ashton's and Mary's daughters, Hannah W. (Wood) Richardson and Mary Richardson, are inscribed on the Eight-Pointed Star Quilt.  Both blocks indicate they were living at Ashley Mansion at the time the blocks were inscribed.
Block inscribed by Hannah W. Richardson.  Photograph by Lynda Salter Chenoeth.
Note the Quaker-style date of 1sr mo 1sr 1844.
The second early family living in this same area were the Shannons who resided in what became known as Christiana.  The names of five Shannon family members are inscribed on the quilt, including that of William T. Shannon.  William T. Shannon was a descendant of William Shannon, an innkeeper who owned the Shannon Hotel, a popular inn located at an important colonial crossroads that linked Christiana with Philadelphia and the then-province of Maryland.  The hotel was constructed about 1766 and was purportedly famous for the quality of its food.  Local lore has it that George Washington, Lafayette, Benjamin Latrobe, and Mason and Dixon all stayed there at one time or another.  The Shannon Hotel still exists but is in disrepair.
Shannon Hotel, Christiana, Delaware.  Photograph from
The names and an inscription related to a third family represented on the quilt may give a clue as to who made the quilt and for whom it was intended.  One of the quilt blocks, bearing the name James Height, displays this inscription:
                                                       Although unasked,
                                                       I send a square,
                                                       To Mary Corse,
                                                       Of Delaware.
Mary is named on the quilt as are her mother, Rebecca Morris Corse, and two of her six siblings, William H. Corse and John R. Corse.
Rebecca Morris (1780-1864) married James Rigbie (also spelled Rigby) Corse in 1803 at Friends Meeting, Duck Creek, Kent County, Delaware.  The couple had seven children: Sarah Ann, Elizabeth Morris (French), Susan Cassandra, James Morris (an M.D.), Mary Berry (Oliphant), John Rigbie, and William Henry (also an M.D.).  James Rigbie Corse died in 1822 before his family settled in Wilmington, Delaware.  His wife Rebecca lived until 1864.
The quilt's inscribed blocks naming John R. Corse and William H. Corse show that they were in St. Louis, Missouri, in the mid-1840s, the time during which the quilt blocks were inscribed.  William H. had returned to Wilmington by the time of the 1850 census, but John R. does not appear in any census records after 1840.
Christine's superior sleuthing turned up a notice, published in The Friend Quaker publication on Twelfth Month 28, 1845.
"Died on the seventh of last month [November 7, 1845], at Rock Island, Illinois, in the 28th year of his age, John R. Corse, son of James R. and Rebecca Corse of Delaware -- his life was characterized by conscientious integrity and uprightness; his death was resigned and peaceful."
We know from the inscription on the James Height block that John's sister, Mary Corse, was collecting blocks for a quilt.  We know that the quilt top was completed but that it was not backed and quilted until 1955.  It would not be unreasonable to speculate that the quilt was being made for John, who had moved to Missouri, to remind him of his loving family and friends back home in Delaware. His untimely death perhaps explains why the quilt remained unfinished after its top was assembled.
Alternatively, the blocks could have been made for a quilt for Mary, herself, to commemorate her wedding to James Morris Oliphant which took place in April, 1845 prior to John's death.  This supposition leaves unexplained, however, why the quilt remained unfinished.
The other family names inscribed on the quilt are Height, Wilson, England, Simmons, Black, Morris, Latimer, McDowell, Griffin, Pinkney, Sutton, Harmon, Clemen, and Haymond.
Photograph by Lynda Salter Chenoweth.
Further research is needed to reveal the lives of the others named on the quilt, identify their relationships to one another, and understand why they were included as part of the "community" represented by the quilt.  It appears that the Corse family was central to the quilt making effort and, if so, all of the others named on the quilt may have had some kind of relationship to them.
Photograph courtesy of Christine Bowman.
This beautiful quilt has several stories to tell about colonial Delaware, its early history, and its inscribed identities.  If you are interested in purchasing it and continuing the research necessary to reveal the stories it has to tell, contact Christine Bowman.
Our thanks to Christy for her research contributions to this post and for her permission to feature this wonderful Quaker quilt on our blog.
"A Partial Genealogy of the Family of Caleb and Rebecca C. Davies," accessed 10/15/2014 at census data, Tait Public Family Tree, and Berger Forest Public Family Tree, accessed 10/14/2014,
Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog at
National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Department of the Interior Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service.  (Richardson properties.)
The Friend, Twelfth Month 28, 1845.
(c) Lynda Salter Chenoweth and Mary Holton Robare, 2014.



October 1, 2014

American Quilt Study Group Seminar 2014 (Part 2)

Two hundred and forty-two members of the American Quilt Study Group (AQSG) met in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 10-14 to attend their annual Seminar.  This event provides attendees with a variety of activities including the presentation of original research papers, Study Centers on diverse quilt-related topics, tours to local places of interest, roundtable discussions, poster board viewings of research in progress, silent and live quilt auctions, on-site quilt vendor showrooms, member book sales, and a number of good meals.  Best of all is the opportunity to meet and network with people who share a common interest in quilts, quilt history, textiles, social and regional history, women's studies, and related topics.

Opening night quilt-turning event.  All photographs by Lynda Salter Chenoweth.
Our last post described a trip to the Cedarburg Woolen Mill and Textiles Museum.  Other tours were offered as well.  Some attendees visited the Milwaukee County Historical Center, the Pabst Mansion, the Milwaukee Public Museum, the Kneeland-Walker House in Wauwatosa, and the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts in Cedarburg.  The Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts had on display quilts, ephemera, and personal items associated with Mary McElwain and her widely-known quilt shop in Walworth, Wisconsin.  Insight into Mary's life and her impact on quilting in the mid-20th century was provided by Pat L. Nickols.
Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts, Cedarburg, Wisconsin.  Interior of the restored
historic barn than houses the Museum's collections.
Study Centers at Seminar offer those attending a chance to participate in a number of topic-related groups concentrating on a specific subject.  This year's Study Center topics covered comforters, Seminole piecing traditions, mourning and "lost cause" quilts, the Quilt Index and its use, drawing and analyzing stitching patterns, African indigo resist dyeing, manufactured bias tape and its effect on quilts and other needlework in the first half of the 20th century, 19th century New York quilt patterns, American hero quilts and the International Quilt Study Center and Museum's World Quilts web site as a source of inspiration for quilt historians and quilt makers.
Detail of an 1830s New England comforter featured during a Study Center on New England
comforters conducted by Lorie Chase.  Chintz, patchwork-printed fabric (also known
 as "cheater cloth") with elaborate wool ties.
The main attraction of Seminar each year is the presentation of original research papers.  This year's papers were "Knockers, Pickers, Movers and Shakers: Quilt Dealers in America, 1970-2000" presented by Nancy Curry Bavor; "Textiles and Clothing of the Civil War: A Portrait for Understanding" presented by Beverly Gordon; "Tifaifai in Tahiti: Embracing Change" presented by Joyce D. Hammond; "'One Hundred Good Wishes Quilts': Expressions of Cross-Cultural Communication" presented by Marin Hanson; "Weft-Loop Woven Counterpanes in the New Republic: The Re-discovery of a Textile Legacy" presented by Laurel Horton; and, "Quilt Documentation Projects 1980-1989: Exploring the Roots of a National Phenomenon" presented by Christine Humphrey.
This year's research papers and Study Centers demonstrate the breadth and diversity of topics annually addressed at Seminar.  There is definitely something of interest for everyone attending.
When not participating in scheduled activities, Seminar attendees have a chance to browse through several high-quality vendor booths where antique quilts can be viewed, discussed, and purchased.  The vendors display quilt ephemera as well as quilts, providing a large variety of items to entice collectors. 
Just two of several vendor areas at Seminar this year.
One of the vendor areas, belonging to AQSG member Christine Bowman of Evanston, Illinois, featured a Quaker quilt from the late 1840s.  This star-pattern quilt will be the subject of our next (and last) post about AQSG Seminar this year.  It is really special.
If you are not a member of AQSG and would like to join all of us next year in Indianapolis, please go to our web site at and become a member.  We'd love to meet you and share the information, friendships, and experience that Seminar provides.
(c) Lynda Salter Chenoweth and Mary Holton Robare, 2014.